cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame relay data compression for client-server application

theresa.nelson
Level 1
Level 1

I am not very knowledgeable about router configuration, so please bear with me. We have just implemented a 64/128 frame-relay to our branch office. We are running a client-server application that requires data compresson to be turned on.

I've reviewed Cisco's web site, and the only reference to data compression under frame relay is payload compression. There are two parameters listed there: packet-by-packet and frf9 stac.

We've tried the packet-by-packet option and saw some improvement in the application, but we are not getting the same performance we had with a dedicated 56k line. I expect with a 64k CIR that we should have, at minimum, the same performance as we did with the dedicated line.

Can anyone tell me if this payload compression is what I need for data compression, and secondly, which parameter I should go with? I've included a part of my configuration below.

interface Serial1

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip mroute-cache

encapsulation frame-relay

no ip route-cache

no fair-queue

frame-relay ip tcp header-compression

!

interface Serial1.1 point-to-point

description Frame to Mississauga

ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip mroute-cache

frame-relay interface-dlci 105

frame-relay payload-compression packet-by-packet

1 Reply 1

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

You can only do packet by packet unless you have the

hardware installed to do the stac compression.

Depending on your topology, your frame relay pvcs may be going through multiple switches, adding a bit of latency to the path. Hence the appearance of a somewhat slower circuit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: