Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay DLCI

wdalati
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

well i am facing some troubles in configuring frame relay.

i have a cisco 2621 router connected to a frame relay cloud. and i do have 2 branch offices with 1750 routers. For each connection i have an independat DLCI number and network address. I configured serial sub interface point to point and did the map on each subinterface.

From the central site, i was able to reach both sites (pinging), same as remote sites with the central site. But i want the remote sites to talk to each other without going to the layer 3 on the router. I want them to be switched on layer 2 on frame relay. The central router is carrying voice same as the branch offices. Hope that the scenario is clear.

Example Routers config are:

Central-SiteA: DLCI 100, Address 10.10.10.0/24

Central-SiteB: DLCI 200, Address 10.10.20.0/24

Is there a way for this issue?

thx in advance

6 Replies 6

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

When you configure frame on p2p sub-ifs, don't use frame maps.

Try something like this:

interface serial0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

!

interface serial0.100 point-to-point

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

!

interface serial0.200 point-to-point

ip address 10.10.10.5 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 200

!

***remote***

interface serial0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

!

interface serial0.100

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

!

Hope that helps.

Mick.

wkreidy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Wael,

you actually need to enable frame-relay switching on your hub router and switch dlci's between your two serial interfaces that are connecting to your spoke routers.

Then on the 1750, you'll be able to create a new subinterface and configure it for a separate subnet to connect the 2 branches on the network layer.

Hence your 2621 would be "acting" as a frame-relay switch wrt this particular connection.

Hope this helps.

anyway if you need more help you can call me.

regards

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

You have a hub spoke setup so you are stuck with the central site in the picture. You can go full mesh by having a new frame relay pvc set up between the remotes.

doug.lockwood
Level 1
Level 1

You have three options.

Use P-P subinterfaces and 2 subnets. This configuration requires L3 forwarding by the hub router.

Use a P-MP subinterface and one subnet. Use frame relay map commands on the spokes to have layer 2 reachability between spokes.

Add a DLCI between the remote sites. Its only money ;)

In general, point to point subinterfaes make a cleaner network. I would stay with your current configuration unless you are forced into the multipoint by your application.

Regards;

Doug

mgnordhoff
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you definitely need a connection directly between the 2 sites, either frame relay or leased line. Since you want to bridge between the 2 a leased line might be better because frame relay is best used for bursty traffic. Let me know if you need more info and we can discuss in greater detail.

wdalati
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your support, i really got a couple of good solutions.

Wael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: