Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Frame-relay fail-over senerio

Is there any way to configure a router that has 4 pvc's . (2 pvc's to primary location 2 pvc's to backup same T-1circuit). To fail over if 1 of the 2 pvc's fail. To be clearer i need traffic to switch over to the back up link if 1of the 2 pvc's fails to primary. There are static routes configured now . please any ideas are welome.

5 REPLIES

Re: Frame-relay fail-over senerio

Hi,

are the pvcs of different CIRs? even you could manipulate the cost of the link, using a routing protocol to run between the sites, so that failover will take place automatically, rather than using static routes...

The pvc's are the same CIR. How do I configure the links so that if 1 of the 2 pvc's drop that the bandwidth for the link will reflect the change and re-route ?

Is there something like multilink for the 2 pvc's ?

Arent you using subinterfaces for each pvc ? If yes each subinterface can be configured with a different bandwidth ( using bandwidth xxxx command). Try using a routing protocol such as EIGRP.

This is just to give you another options.

Option 1

configure the two inteface as multilink and load balance the traffic. This will let you utilise the idle PVC (why don't use it when you are paying for it). Of course you will need to run a routing protocol.

Option 2

This will require you to install another T1 service and request your telco about redirection service. With the redirection service, you will only pay 10% of the actual cost for the backup service and this will also give you link failure redundancy unlike what you are trying to achieve, which run on the same service. This will require that you configure another interface/subinterface with different IP address but on the same network of the primary interface (just like a multipoint except that the backup interface is down because the PVC is down at Telco). The telco will automatically enable the backup PVC and switch or redirect yourr traffic to the backup link when there is a failure on the primary link.

I have this setup with my network and it works beatifull.

I hope this will hep you.

Benjamin

I have recieved more information on the circuits involved. There are 4 frame-relay full t-1s. each site has to T-1's to it. I need the traffic to shift to the backup T's if 1 T fails to primary. I have heard of Frame-relay multipoint but never config will this work and how is it configured ?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content