Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay inverse-arp

fujin.huang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I use "frame map ip x.x.x.x dlci broadcast" command, there is this option call "broadcast" which will allow broadcast traffic to flow on the dlci. What if i use inverse-arp? will it behave like "broadcast" option? if yes can turn if off? if no, can turn if on?

Thanks for the help

Fujin

3 Replies 3

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Inverse-Arp is used by your frame relay interface to determine what IP address is on the other side of a DLCI. It is used *instead* of frame maps.

Once you use a frame map, it disables inverse-arp for that protocol on that interface.

You can turn off inverse-arp on an interface by using the frame map command or by using the command:

no frame-relay inverse-arp [protocol] [dlci]

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fwan_r/frcmds/wrffr2.htm#xtocid12

The broadcast option allows, as you said, broadcasts to be forwarded over each PVC on an interface that is using the broadcast option. Without the broadcast option, protocols like OSPF or EIGRP would require neighbor statements on Point-to-Multipoint frame networks.

Mick.

Thanks, Mick,

What I want to know is that if I use inverse-arp, will the broadcast traffics being forwarded to the dlci?

Regards,

Fujin

No. If you wish for broadcast traffic to be forwarded over a PVC, you must use the "broadcast" keyword.

Mick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: