Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Frame Relay network bandwidth issues?

I have a frame relay network with 5 384k, 2 56k and 1 T1 connected to my central office which is connected at T1. My question is: If I were to upgrade all frame connections to T1's would I have to increase my central office to a T3 or Fractional T3?

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Frame Relay network bandwidth issues?

There's two questions: 1) Do you need more bandwidth at your central office and 2) If you need more bandwidth, how do you get it? The answer to your first question depends on your traffic patterns. If you feel you're running out of capacity at the central office (use MRTG or CiscoWorks or similar to collect graphs, or just keep an eye on 'show int) you'll need more bandwidth. There's no absolute requirement that you upgrade it, you only need to upgrade it if you need more bandwidth and that's something you have to determine. As for question 2, T3 is probably overkill for your application but again capacity planning is something you need to work out. One choice might be to get multiple frame-relay T1s and have your remote sites get PVCs to each and load-balance the traffic back and forth. Some carriers will also help you hardware-multiplex two or more T1s together into one large frame-relay pipe (3, 4.5 or 6Mb/s with two, three or four T1s).

Views
Helpful
Replies