Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

frame relay ping sub int on point to point not working

the 3640 is configured as follows

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

interface Serial0/0.48 point-to-point

ip address 10.225.0.97 255.255.255.252

no cdp enable

frame-relay interface-dlci 48

The other side of the interface is up (IBM router) and IBM can ping its interface 10.225.0.98. Neither the IBM router or Cisco 3640 can ping 10.225.0.97.

I read the article about multipoint but this is p-p.

Both routers has been reloaded.

the sub int shows

Serial0/0.48 is up, line protocol is up

Internet address is 10.225.0.97/30

Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255

the routing table shows

C 10.225.0.96/30 is directly connected, Serial0/0.48

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: frame relay ping sub int on point to point not working

Is other traffic passing through, I mean other than ICMP.

If not, try changing frame-relay encapsulation to IETF: encap frame ietf

If yes, try extended ping or see if you have any ACLs. Debug while pinging can also help.

HTH.

I have to agree with "rais".

Your problem will probably be resolved if you configure "frame-relay interface-dlci 48 ietf" on the sub-interface. This way you don't have to commit every PVC associated with the physical interface to IETF encapsulation. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I added the IETF to the sub-int and have reloaded the router but unfortuneately I am still unable to ping the sub int. I also reloaded the IBM. There are no access lists on either router. There are many other sub-interfaces on the same interface working normally but they all have cicso routers at the other end.

The IBM router shows frames sent and recieved over the frame relay connection.(LMI?)

The show frame-relay LMI command reveals LMI TYPE = CISCO; LMI type on the IBM shows REV1.

The show frame relay map command shows Serial0/0.48 (up): point-to-point dlci, dlci 48(0x30,0xC00), broadcast, IETF, B0 status defined, active.

Does this indicate that LMI type is correct for the switch? Do both routers need to use the same LMI type or do I just need to match the frame switch that the router is connected to?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If there's a DLCI between Router A and Router B, LMI setting of tthe router A should match the LMI setting of the FR switch interface connected to Router A. And same logic for Router B. So There's no relation between LMI settings of A and B. But FR encapsulation type should be the same between two routers (cisco or IETF). This setting indicates which multiprotocol encapsulation method (cisco proprietary or RFC1490/2447)will be used between two routers. Your sh frame-relay map output shows that cisco router sees the DLCI as active, I think you should investigate the problem on the IBM router side (For example what is LMI type REV1 ?).

Regards.

Thanks for the help. Rev1 is the IETF encapsulation. It ended up working when I used an address of other than a 10.x.x.x. Have a happy Holiday.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content