Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame-relay providers say i can use any IP addr & DLCI of my own!! URGENT!

I am trying to connect 2 locations using frame-relay point-to-point. My providers said i can use any DLCI no and IP addr i like,which i believe will not work. I did that & i can't ping my subintf address neither can i ping the remote ip. I have no keepalive on the main interface. I did "show frame-relay lmi" i got nothing and am using an IOS that will autosense it. I was told by the provider that we were giving a pipe to the remote end and bcos of that i can use any IP or DLCI. I taught both locations should be connected to the providers fram-relay swith!!! A friend of mine said the providers will give the IP for the two WAN interface, the DLCI and we would give them our IP on the LAN for routing on their swith,I need more clarifications on this.

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Frame-relay providers say i can use any IP addr & DLCI of my

First off you need to set your keepalives at 10 seconds on the main interface 'keep 10 ' turn on debug frame lmi, or do a sh frame map , this will let you know the DLCI # . when you find out the DLCI # the FR switch is advertising you need to out the command frame-relay interface dlci xxx command on the subinterface . The dlaci referenced here will be the dlci local to that router , the dlci that shows in sh frame map or debug frame lmi,

As far as the IP addresss go the service provider is correct , you can use any IP you like as long as it you are in a private network and the IP will not be advertised to the internet, of course theyt must be on the same subnet .

Bronze

Hi,

No!! Actually, it's the provider responsibility to provide FR DLCI to you. The DLCI's at both ends may be different, and that's absolutely depends upon provider switch cross connectivity. IP subnet should be same at both ends to communicate with.

Regards...

Ashok.

With best regards... Ashok ----------- Pls kindly rate if helpful or answered your question.

If you purchased a point to point circuit then you can use whatever you want. If you purchased a frame relay circuit the dlci is only locally significant and as such you when you order the circuit you can specify one. If your service provider is telling you that to set your own DLCI's then do it, the provider might be set for auto.

Gold

Hi -

As one of the other post states, if the FR provider has set auto DLCI then you are o.k. to setup your own DLCI No's. But check this with the provider first before you start setting up your DLCI's.

Hope this helps --

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content