cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay sub-interface local ping

ward
Level 1
Level 1

Interface is up up but i cannot ping my own interface or the other address of the subnet.Using fram-relay interface dlci for inverse arp.

I can ping other sub interfaces that are up.

7 Replies 7

scarothe
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings:

Something is definitely wrong. You could have accidently put the same ip address on both sides. The PVC's also could not be set up right. Also, are you using IETF.

You might want to start by doing a "debug IP packet" do see what is happening to the IP packets. If they appear to go out OK, you will want to do the same on the destination to see if the packets ever get there.

Thakns...Steve

Hi Steve

i have checked the ip addresses and they are correct.

Its a 10.31.100.160/30 subnet on a 255.255.255.252

mask.Thats all fine.I have also tried the debug ip packet on the ip address i am pinging on the other side.I can see the packets going out the interface.

They are sending,but not receiving anything back.

Unfortunately we cannot acces the remote routerdo see if the packets are getting there,but the config has been checked for the remote router and that is fine.We had a copy of the config.Looks like we might need an engineer to go to the other side of the link.i was just a bit confused as to why i could not ping my own interface,but i could ping others.

Thanks for you response.

Duncan

rhickey
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure that line and protocol are up on the sub-interface. Make sure that the DLCI for this circuit in active on the main interface. Check the port speed of the DLCI. Recheck the configuration of the sub-interface. If all of this is correct have the frame provider check the mapping, PVC, DLCI, port speed, and LMI at both ends of the circuit.

I have done all of these checks before already.Interface is up up.

I am in the process of getting the dlc,pvc mapping checked on the remote side.

Thanks

I have noticed this on my network and I have used the NO FRame MAP command to fix this. As soon as you release the map the frame switch will update the router. let me know if this helps.

Regards

James

HI

We have found that the remote LMI was not setup by the ptt.All is working now,

but i am still bewildered why i could not ping my local interface which was up up.

Hi

To ping your own interface ip address you have to configure a frame map for this:

int s0

ip adddress 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame map ip 10.1.1.2 404 : to get to the other side

frame map ip 10.1.1.1 404 : to ping your own ip

regards

Tore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: