cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay switching and frame-relay routing combined

mflanigan
Level 1
Level 1

My customer wants to transport frame-relay packets end-to-end between Telematics packet switches , as well as running IP traffic over the same frame interface. The connectivity is as follows:

T-matics --- 3640 ------------------- 7206 --------------------------- 3640 --- T-matics

F/R Private T-1 Private T-1 F/R

V.35 Frame encap Frame encap V.35

We would run frame-relay switching to transport the Telematics traffic. IP traffic would originate on ethernet interfaces on the 3640. Ideally, we would like to be able to define a sub-interface for IP traffic on the main frame interface, or else use an additional dlci for IP defined on the main interface along with the switched DLCI's. The Cisco SE on the account has verified that he has configured this setup, with a sub-interface, but has not actually seen it work in production. The customer does not want any uncertainty as to the workability of the config. Can anyone verify that this approach will indeed work in a live environment? Thanks.

1 Reply 1

mflanigan
Level 1
Level 1

I believe I have found the answer I am looking for. The answer is that I can either switch the dlcis over tunnel interfaces between the 3640 endpoints or run a slight variation on the hybrid back-to-back tech tip config. I'm still not sure about sub-interfaces in the latter case, but that is just an implementation detail. Using private T1's instead of carrier frame makes the latter implementation simple.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: