Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Frame Relay Traffic Shaping

We have 5 remote sites connected to our main site via Frame Relay. Sites 1,2,3 have full T1 access with a CIR of 768k and a burst rate of 768k. The other 2 sites are running on a 128k fractional T1 with a CIR of 64k and a burst rate of 64k. All of these connections are setup as sub-interfaces of 1 main interface. These are all strictly data only connections.

Should I setup traffic shaping for these connections and if so, how? I have found articles for setting this up, but I think I am now more confused after reading them.

If someone could help get me started, I would appreciate it. I am far from a cisco guru, so please be gentle.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Frame Relay Traffic Shaping

You have hub and apoke topology. Here is the link which talks about Frame-relay traffic shaping on that. It explains what you can gain with traffic shaping with config and troubleshooting in "related info" section.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/traffic_shaping_6151.html

Re: Frame Relay Traffic Shaping

While doing traffic shaping, one thing to note is that the higher speed interface that is connecting to the lower speed interface, should be shaped with the lowest speed of the two. So on the main site, you ll be creating sub interfaces for the remote sites (point-to-point usually). You need to enable traffic shaping on the main interface, and then configure class maps, one each for each remote site. The class maps should shape the traffic to the speed of the remote site. Since you have 3 full T1 sites and 2 additional fracs, you ll be looking at atleast 4 physical interfaces on the main site.

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content