Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Frame relay traffic shaping

I am studing FR traffic shaping. In command,it states that frame-relay cir x, this x means the physical port speed, like T1. I don't understand why we need this parameter in the traffic shapping, FR will never send traffic at this rate even without configuring traffic shaping because your external DSU/CSU will set up clock only allow the allowed traffic which is your ordered service-CIR or plus BC.

Thanks

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: Frame relay traffic shaping

It doesn't mean the physical port speed. What it means and should be set accordingly, is the amount of bandwidth purchased from your provider.

You can have the physical connection on an T1/E1 link and purchase only 256Kbps.

In this case you shoud set the frame-relay cir to 256.

You can also have the physical connection on an T1/E1 link and purchase multiple PVC to different destinations in your network, each PVC could have different CIR's which must be set to their real value.

Cheers

Re: Frame relay traffic shaping

That's what I thought initially, but if you read CCIE pratical volume 1, it clearly says the CIR here is not the CIR you bought from carrier, instead it's the local physical speed. and the mincir is the cir you bought from carrier.

Views
Helpful
Replies