cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay Tuning

gwasson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Frame-relay network. Remote offices have 512k, 512k, 768k, and 768k, connection speeds. They all come to my core router with a 3mb (dual t1's) connection. On the PVC that goes to one of my 512k connections I see alot of "in FECN pkts" and also "in BECN pkts". I read somewhere that if my incoming connection speed was larger than my remote offices that this could happen. Should I employ traffic shaping? If so can someone suggest a syntax for me?

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Do you have several different types of traffic in and out of those sites, that is, SNA, and IPX ? I asked because there are certain gudelines to look into before implementing frame-relay traffic shapping. Your sites PVC's are way over 56kbs, no necesarily 512kbps is a bottleneck unless you are sending SNA or IPX traffic over those links. Just a thought !

Does these sites are complaining of slowness, look into the link Utilization, that would give a better picture if line is very congested.

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Nope, no SNA or IPX. There is not consistant complaints about slowness just every so often. My concern was based on the BECN and FECN counts. If that is considered normal or not...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco