cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay WAN Slowness

james.marshall
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 256K WAN link that appears to be slow. As a test we sent a 8mb file from end-to-end which took 7 minutes. We tried different times of the day and it stayed around 7 minutes. I calculated that it should take about 1 minute. Stats from AT&T do not show over-utilization at either end. Are my calculations correct?

4 Replies 4

noc
Level 1
Level 1

yes.. 8MB file in 7 minutes is great on a 256k line.

perhaps you should run mrtg on the router closest

to you to determine real bandwidth / throughput and

your utilization of the link.

see www.mrtg.org

faheyd
Level 1
Level 1

Hmmm slow, maybe not. A 8MB (byte) file is 64,000,000 bits, or 64Mb (bits). 64Mb going across a 256Kbs link, in a perfect world with no overhead would take 250 seconds or 4.1 minutes. Well with packet/frame overhead, OS overhead, I/O on the computer and disk read/writes, a 7 minute download time really is great.

When you read a file size off a hard drive, it's usually in bytes (usually in 8 bit words).

Your calculations look correct and I don't know how I came up with 1 minute. Thanks.

james.marshall
Level 1
Level 1

We tried another transfer using a 1.8mb file. It took 5 minutes 15 seconds. In a perfect world I figured it would take 57 seconds. We then tried another transfer on a 973kb file and it took 2 minutes 26 seconds (perfect world: 30 seconds). It appears the transfer time is 5 times the perfect world transfer time. Is this normal overhead on transfers?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: