Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Frame-Relay

This is my first attempt at configuring Frame Relay cloud in our lab for 6 remote sites. I currently have 2 DLCI's (a Primary & Secondary) assigned to each remote site. I have 2 routers at our Central site with three remote routers pointing to one of them as a Primary and the other as the Secondary in the event of a Central site circuit failure. I can't seem to get the failover to work properly. Does anyone have a frame configuration available that could help me?

3 REPLIES

Re: Frame-Relay

I guess I'm a bit confused. Frame won't fail over for you. What routing protocol are you using? Is the frame point-to-point or point-to-mulitpoint?

The PVCs will always be up (if configured properly), but your routing protocol will choose the path it wishes to send the data. When a PVC drops, the routing protocol should detect this and change to the appropriate route.

mick.

It's not a good idea to backup a frame circuit with another frame cct. Using separate PVCs on the same physical connection makes no sense either as there is more chance of the physical connection failing than just a pvc within it. If you want to do this though then the option is an ugly, expensive one - have 2 physical circuits to each site including the central one. yeeech!

The common engineering practice for backup of frame circuits (or pvcs) is to utilize a different carrier technology like ISDN.

If you are doing this on a frame cloud, A and B bit support, as well as LMI, are required if you need to use static / floating static routes. Without signaling, the local router will never know that the remote is down. I recomend a dynamic routing protocol be used.

Views
Helpful
Replies