cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-Relay

sfhall
Level 1
Level 1

This is my first attempt at configuring Frame Relay cloud in our lab for 6 remote sites. I currently have 2 DLCI's (a Primary & Secondary) assigned to each remote site. I have 2 routers at our Central site with three remote routers pointing to one of them as a Primary and the other as the Secondary in the event of a Central site circuit failure. I can't seem to get the failover to work properly. Does anyone have a frame configuration available that could help me?

3 Replies 3

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

I guess I'm a bit confused. Frame won't fail over for you. What routing protocol are you using? Is the frame point-to-point or point-to-mulitpoint?

The PVCs will always be up (if configured properly), but your routing protocol will choose the path it wishes to send the data. When a PVC drops, the routing protocol should detect this and change to the appropriate route.

mick.

ksewnarain
Level 1
Level 1

It's not a good idea to backup a frame circuit with another frame cct. Using separate PVCs on the same physical connection makes no sense either as there is more chance of the physical connection failing than just a pvc within it. If you want to do this though then the option is an ugly, expensive one - have 2 physical circuits to each site including the central one. yeeech!

The common engineering practice for backup of frame circuits (or pvcs) is to utilize a different carrier technology like ISDN.

doug.lockwood
Level 1
Level 1

If you are doing this on a frame cloud, A and B bit support, as well as LMI, are required if you need to use static / floating static routes. Without signaling, the local router will never know that the remote is down. I recomend a dynamic routing protocol be used.