Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Frame Relay

I have 2 questions regarding Frame Relay:

1. Is the DLCI typically provided by the service provider?

2. My FR experience is limited to what I have done in my home lab using a router as a frame switch. In this setting, I have used the frame-relay route command on the "frame switch." In the "real world" are Frame-Relay Mappings used in place of the route command or does the service provider manually enter Frame Relay routes on their frame switch?

Thank you. Apologies if this an overly simplistic question.

~Robert

6 REPLIES

Re: Frame Relay

1. Either way. You can tell them what DLCI you want on both ends, or you can just let them assign.

2. Carrier takes care of that.

HTH,

Mike

BTW, sorry, I didn't realize a co-worker had logged into this PC before I posted. So Gail didn't post that reply, I did.

Sorry!

Mike

Mike: Thank you for your response. If the carrier enters the routes on thier frame switch, why is the FR map command needed? Is it the functional equivalent of entering a static route in a routing table?

Thanks!

~Robert

Robert - The maps are used to map a protocol specific address (ip, ipx, etc.) to a FR DLCI. Generally you need to use these if you have many PVCs on an interface and do not use subinterfaces or sometimes if you use multi-point subinterfaces. If you use point-to-point subinterfaces they are not necessary. Check out this url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080087e14.html#1020191

Here's a quote from the above URL:

"There can be many DLCIs known by a router or access server that can send data to many different places, but they are all multiplexed over one physical link. The Frame Relay map defines the logical connection between a specific protocol and address pair and the correct DLCI."

HTH,

Mike

Mike: OK thanks. I was thinking just in P2P terms. Your comments about multipoint make sense.

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

~Robert

No sweat Robert.

Views
Helpful
Replies