Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Frame to ATM Compression

Does anyone know if there is any hardware that can compress frame-relay and then decompress it at the atm end?

4 REPLIES

Re: Frame to ATM Compression

No :-)

What are you trying to accomplish? Attaching a Serial interface running frame-relay on one side to an ATM interface on the other side? If so, not possible.

I want to take a router, we'll say is in Idaho, coming across F/R and my provider sends it to their ATM network. They then send it on to us (Florida). That means it's going from F/R to ATM straight to us. There is no reverting back to frame-relay before reaching the Host. The quesiton I have is is there anyway to compress the Idaho side (Frame-Relay) then decompress at the ATM side (Florida). Then vice versa.

Sounds like you are using FRF 8 (service inter-working) which is Frame-Relay to ATM which strips the frame header and converts to ATM. In addition you can use FRF 9 or FRF 12. You probably want to use 12. As 9 only compresses the payload. FRF.12 is commonly used in voice over applications.

FRF.9 Data Compression over Frame Relay Implementation Agreement

in Cisco routers (on interface) frame-relay payload-compression FRF9 stac.

FRF.12 Frame Relay Fragmentation Implementation Agreement

This link will take you to the frame-relay commands used to set this up. There is also a link to the setting up frf.12

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_c/wcdfrely.htm

Take a look at the AIM4 compression card - you will need it on both ends.

Views
Helpful
Replies