cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

From Catalyst 1900 Switches to Catalyst 2950

marianobusquets
Level 1
Level 1

I´m CCNA´s student and We´ve been working with the Cisco Catalyst 1900 Series and I think that using the configuration menu is easier than Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series´s command line. I wonder if it´s just because of security or if there is something else. I´d be grateful if someone helped me.

3 Replies 3

hclfm
Level 1
Level 1

Catalyst 2950 runs IOS which catalyst 1900 series switches doesn't have. since 1900 series doesn't run IOS it has provided with menu based interface in addition to CLI .so u feel easy to work with the menu.

In September 1995 Cisco purchased Grand Junction Networks who made a switch that Cisco later re-named the Catalyst 1900 series. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that Grand Junction preferred to use a menu system and Cisco never replaced it with Cisco IOS. I think you can now download software tothe 1900 series which provides you with the same configuring interface as the 2950 that you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

As Darren said, it's just because the Catalyst 1900 was not built by Cisco.

You can use either the menu-driven or the CLI but I would advise you to use the CLI. It's the most common "way" of configuring Cisco devices and if you are thinking in Cisco's certifications, CCNA, CCNP or even CCIE, use the CLI.

Regards,

JPL