cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP Speed between two locations

kjanakiraman
Level 1
Level 1

We have a offices in two locations A and B and both are connected through 2Mbps Leased Line. Both the ends have 3640 router with 10base T ethernet interface. When i try to download some file from the ftp site in location A to Location B, i am getting download speed of over 100KByes/sec, but when i try to upload a file from Location A to Location B i am getting a upload speed of only 30KByes/Sec. Can some one advice where is the problem and how to rectify the same.

Thanks in Advance

7 Replies 7

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

1) is my understanding correct that the problem is different behaviour if you download from A to B or upload from A to B? I.e. data flow from A to B in both cases?

What happens if you try to download/upload from B to A?

If the behaviour is the same, I'd check the FTP server/client application you are using.

2) If your problem is different FTP speed from A to B and from B to A (which is more common), I'd check:

a) any port storm control configured on switches in the location from which the data is outgoing lower speed

b) is it only FTP specific problem or all IP traffic has different speeds

b) is IP traffic routed the same path in both directions?

Regards,

Milan

1) When I am downloading from Location A to Location B iam getting good speed. But when i am downloading from location B to Location A it is very slow

2)a In location B we have non-managable switch and in location A we have manageble cicso switch but there is no port storm control configure

b) The problem is only with ftp

c) From Location B we have a 2Mb Leased line to Location B. The router is 3640. Both are conneted through serial interface and ethernet interface on both the locations makes it to connect to both the LAN Network.

Thanks for your help

Verify the ethernet port duplex and speed mismatches. Always fix this values on servers, routers and switches.

Ronaldo Marins.

Though the router is having 10 base T ethernet interface we have configured that as full duplex. In Location B we have non-manageble switch and location A has the FTP Server connected to GBic switch and the server has a GBic card and in location B we have the workstation with Auto configuration on the NIC Card.

Thanks

Verify if exist duplex mismath between router and switch in location A.

Is there any type of traffic prioritization implemented?

Ronaldo Marins.

What's the tracroute? Perhaps traffic is taking different routes.

It could also be the values of tcp timers on both machines, like send/receive window sizes.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: