cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM 3.1

xhackuss1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two catalyst 6500 switches running MSFC and FWS. The running applications for the two FWSMs are version 1.1 I intend to upgrade the application software to version 3.1.

Without any configs changes. Would this have any impact on my network like amking any configuration change?

My goal is to backup the current configuration and do the upgrade without any changes to the network.

Can anybody comment on this?

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

when using maintenance software v1.1 and upgrading the application software the activation key is removed if present and the mode is changed back to singleContextMode.

you will want to upgrade the maintenance software to 2.1 minimal to keep the activation key and keep the mode currently configured if not singleContextMode.

see this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_module_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080201046.html#wp1027725

Thanx Pulos

Does your response mean that it is only the activation key and the context mode that are affected ?

I am using v1.1 in single-context mode so I guess I have no worry. Right?

does that mean

yes, my response was to let you know of some 'caveats' that cco documentation stated.

basically, if you have maintenance v1.1, then an upgrade of the application software, (to any partition) will result in the 'activationKey removed' if present and the contextMode reverted back to 'single'.

bottom line, upgrade your maintenance software to at least 2.1 before you do your application software upgrade to any partition.

these are the only caveats i could find in docs on cco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco