Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Question...

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is the FWSM for the 6500 hot swappable? Should I be powering down before inserting or removing it?

I have seen conflicting documentation...

Please advise

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you should be fine. One of the things you are paying for with the 6500 is the ability to hot-swap modules without powering down the entire switch.

There is always the remote possibility that the switch could crash so if the switch is critical i might do it out of production hours (but i still wouldn't power the whole switch down).

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi William

There is a shutdown option for the FWSM ie. from the 6500 switch prompt in config mode

hw-module module "slot number of FWSM" shutdown.

It is recommended to shutdown the module and then you can remove it from the chassis.

There is no need to power down the whole switch.

HTH

Jon

As for inserting it I can just go ahead without powering down then?

Yes, you should be fine. One of the things you are paying for with the 6500 is the ability to hot-swap modules without powering down the entire switch.

There is always the remote possibility that the switch could crash so if the switch is critical i might do it out of production hours (but i still wouldn't power the whole switch down).

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: