cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway of last resort

bconquergood
Level 1
Level 1

I have remote location connected to our corporate location with a 256K frame relay pipe. The router at the remote location is a older cisco 1600. I also have a DSL connected to a Cisco PIX 501, connected (when the tunnel is up) back to a Cisco VPN 3XXX concentrator (for back up, incase the frame goes down). My question is about Gateway of last resort. I currently have the following two statesments in the 1600 router.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (corporate fame side)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ip of the pix) 110

My understand of this is that the frame is the first gateway of last resort. The pix is the secondary because of the matrix. Everything works the way it should. If the frame goes down the traffic is moved the PIX and the PIX starts the Lan to Lan VPN back to corporate.

My question is having two 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 commands in the router correct? Or should I be using a 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 and a IP default-gateway command? We are using EGIRP supplied from the core router from corporate.

2 Replies 2

annu86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

IP default-gateway is used only when IP routing is not enabled on the router. Since you have IP routing enabled , in your case, IP default-gateway can't be used as a alternative to static route.

I hope this helps.

thanks

cymurai
Level 1
Level 1

Although using a floating static route works, I would try using backup interface on FR pointing to dialer profile/interface (going to DSL), using a second dialer profile for other non-corporate (internet) traffic. This would allow remote site to use DSL for internet access while still providing backup for FR.

Hope this helps!