Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GBIC and Mini-GBIC?

Are they comparable?

If I have a switch that uses GBIC and I buy a new switch that uses mini-GBIC would they communicate with no ploblems?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: GBIC and Mini-GBIC?

Yes, a GBIC and SFP simply have different form factors at the connector level. They both carry the same signals equally. There are various cables available that have combinations of different connectors to allow for easy interconnections.

HTH,

Bobby

Ok, is there any documentation on this? I need to show prove of this otherwise I will not get approve to buy the new switches.

Thanks

EtherChannel Between Catalyst 3550/3560/3750 Series Switches and Catalyst Switches Running Cisco IOS System Software Configuration Example is a document that would show how they work together.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094647.shtml

Also, I can tell you that I have connected 3750 switches and 3560 switches with SFF to 6509 and 4507R that have GBICs with no problems.

Views
Helpful
Replies