Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gbic connectivity to serverfarm .................very urgent

Before going to the problem let me narrate my n/w connectivity.

I have a 6506 core switch in that I have connected 3500 series gibic port switches. From this I have connected all my access switches. One of my access switch is connected to my server farm. Now let me come to the problem.

I have 21 nos. of Servers in the Serverfarm. Presently all the servers are having 100 MBPS link. Now I want to connect these servers to 1000 MBPS link. For this I have already placed order for 1000 MBPS NIC cards.

But I have 3508 switch which is having only 8 ports. Is there any other cisco switch is available which can connect 21 servers together ?

Please reply immediately....

My present n/w design is as follows:

6506 CORE -----3508 DISTRIBUTION -----3524 ACCESS---------SERVERFARM

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Gbic connectivity to serverfarm .................very urgent

CAT4000 and CAT6000 switches have 10/100/1000mbps cards. If it's ab option(since you have a CAT6506), you might want to consider a 16 port 10/100/1000 mbps card for it or buy a 16 port fiber based card since you have already ordered copper GBICs

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/mod_inst/01overvw.htm#xtocid21

Re: Gbic connectivity to serverfarm .................very urgent

May be you might want to consider "Dual Home" the servers. That is have your 1G connections AND also your existing 100M connections as backup.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content