Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GBIC errors on Cat 4006

I just installed a new Catalyst 4006 with two 1000BaseX Ethernet WS-X4418 modules. For several GBIC I got a message:

%SYS-3-P2_ERROR: 1/Failed to read gbic serial eeprom on port 3/2, try reinserting %SYS-4-PORT_GBICNOTSUPP:Port 3/2 gbic not supported

The show port command output says: "Unknown GBIC" instead of "1000BaseSX"

but the ports seems to works fine.

I found a Field Notice:

G5484, G5486, G5487 GBICs Generate Bad EPROM Errors

where it is asserted:

"The following available Catalyst software releases have fixed this problem when seeproms are available on the Cisco GBIC:

CatOS 5.5(5) and above

CatOS 6.2(3)and above"

I upgraded to CatOS 6.3(6) but the problem still persist.

Any suggestion ?

Thak You, Alessandro Asson

2 REPLIES

Re: GBIC errors on Cat 4006

If it is CISCO gbic, then open a TAC case to investigate this issue.

Re: GBIC errors on Cat 4006

I've just cut and paste the error message into Cisco 'Error Message Decoder' and the results were:

1. %SYS-4-PORT_GBICNOTSUPP: Port [dec]/[dec] GBIC is unsupported

This message indicates that an installed GBIC could not be identified because either the GBIC serial EPROM is bad or the GBIC is an unsupported version. [dec]/[dec] is the module number/port number of the faulty GBIC.

Recommended Action: If you are using a Cisco-supported GBIC, contact your technical support representative. Otherwise, either replace the unsupported GBIC with a supported GBIC or disregard the message.

Related document:

Cisco - Field Notice: G5484, G5486, G5487 GBICs Generate Bad ...

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies