cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC Fiber Uplink or 1000B-T Copper

hyland_m
Level 1
Level 1

We are deploying an Enterprise Class Web/Application Server/DataBase nth-tier architecture. We have four (4) - web servers connected to four (4) application servers which in turn are connected to a single database. We are in the process or installing a second NIC in the Application Server so separate web traffic and database traffic on the Application Server. Currently our uplink is a copper Cat6 RJ45 Copper cable. I was wondering if I were to use Gigabit Switch all ports at 1000T-Base with a GBIC SX and fiber connection to my database switch - would I gain any performance through put?

what are the technical differences between Cat6 Copper and GBIC as an uplink between Gigabit switches?

1 Reply 1

matthew.donahue
Level 1
Level 1

A big difference between 1000Base-T and 1000Base-SX is the difference in the distances that can be traveled. Base-T has a 100 Meter limit and 1000Base-Sx has a longer limit. I think it might be 2 km but I am not sure so don't quote me. If you are wiring in just on room then either one will suffice. As a personal opinion, I have always used fiber to connect Servers together and also to connect switches. I only used Cat6 or Cat5 when I am connecting to an end-user workstation.