cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gbic info 3550

rfulgram
Level 1
Level 1

The 3550G comes with 10 module ports, Is there a fiber module for one of the ports that supports fiber at 100mbs or can you only get the Gbic modules that support fiber 1000 only?

I have a remote site that I need to use fiber on and am looking for a Media convertor on the far end to convert the fiber link to RJ45 connection. But when I bring it back to the 3550G unless it is a 1000Base Media convertor I do not see a solution for this other than purchasing 2 of the media convertors and utilizing a 10/100 port on one of the other switches. I would prefer to connect directly into the 3550G with the fiber and save the cost of another transeiver.

Any comments would be appriciate.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

There is no GBIC available that can accomodate your needs. The 3550-12G (which I assume you have) does have two fast ethernet ports on it however. You could use a media converter on one of these two ports instead of having to use another switch.

Have you found a media converter? If not, take a look at this link to find the one you need (based on multi-mode or single-mode fiber):

http://www.alliedtelesyn.com/allied/products/subcategories.asp?rem=1&category=3&country=0〈=en&showproductsfor=126#126

The only standalone/stackable switches I know of that can do 100B-FX are the 3550-24-FX and the 2950C-24. Hope this helps.

Josh