cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gbic info 3550

rfulgram
Level 1
Level 1

The 3550G comes with 10 module ports, Is there a fiber module for one of the ports that supports fiber at 100mbs or can you only get the Gbic modules that support fiber 1000 only?

I have a remote site that I need to use fiber on and am looking for a Media convertor on the far end to convert the fiber link to RJ45 connection. But when I bring it back to the 3550G unless it is a 1000Base Media convertor I do not see a solution for this other than purchasing 2 of the media convertors and utilizing a 10/100 port on one of the other switches. I would prefer to connect directly into the 3550G with the fiber and save the cost of another transeiver.

Any comments would be appriciate.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

There is no GBIC available that can accomodate your needs. The 3550-12G (which I assume you have) does have two fast ethernet ports on it however. You could use a media converter on one of these two ports instead of having to use another switch.

Have you found a media converter? If not, take a look at this link to find the one you need (based on multi-mode or single-mode fiber):

http://www.alliedtelesyn.com/allied/products/subcategories.asp?rem=1&category=3&country=0〈=en&showproductsfor=126#126

The only standalone/stackable switches I know of that can do 100B-FX are the 3550-24-FX and the 2950C-24. Hope this helps.

Josh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: