Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

GBIC Modules

Is anyone aware of any other companies that make GBIC modules. Are these recognized by Cisco? I know that Cisco GBIC's are around $500.00. All suggestions are appreciated.

3 REPLIES

Re: GBIC Modules

There are lots of other companies making GBICs, but only Cisco GBICs are supported by Cisco.

For some of the more recent GBICs (1000base-T / CWDM), only Cisco GBICs will actually work, and the same holds true for SFPs.

-A

Dear,

GBICs is a public standard,All the company who can offer the GBIC must compatible with each other,Now i heard that the third party's GBICs are not supported by the series of Catalyst 3750,yes or no,waiting for your reply early,or email me at best@lightrend.com ,Thanks very much,my name is Best Wang.

"WDM, copper, and SFP GBIC's all include a GBIC EEPROM "code" that certifies the GBIC as coming from Cisco. New versions of IOS/CatOS check this code to verify the GBIC - if the code is not found, or is not valid, the software will disable the port in software and will not allow traffic to pass. Older GBIC's (5484/5486/5487) were manufactured before this feature was introduced, and do not contain this feature. Regardless, TAC will not troubleshoot a GBIC that was not purchased from Cisco, the same policy as Flash/DRAM memory."

See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/gbic.pdf

-A

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content