cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC not recognised on 3524 (Gigastack is recognised though)

wrightmp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a small setup of 2 X 3524 connected via Gigastack GBICS and they work fine. We recently went along to upgrade the switch fabric by adding another switch (3550) and connecting with 2 1000BASE-T (TX) GBIC`s (Copper GBIC) .The 3550 sprang into life and the lights came on, however the existing 3524 GBIC did not light up and show connectivity. I think I have seen this situation before at another site when you try to use these 2 GBIC types together in this switch fabric (ie - using 3524`s).

The GBIC`s I am using are tested workers from another site.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. I am going back onsite out of hours shortly to try and resolve.

Thanks Mark.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You will defs need to upgrade to at least 12.0(5)WC3b to support both the the older end of life G5482 and newer G5483.

If you can get WC8 then do upgrade the switch and your problem will be solved.

Adios

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark

2 things to check. What is the software level on the 3500XL? It needs to be a minumim of Release 12.0(5)XW to support the 1000BaseT GBIC (WS-G5482). Also what cabling are you using between the 1000BaseT ports? If its 1000BaseT port to 1000BaseT then a fully-wired straight cable will work (the standard has intelligence built in to do the crossing for you). If one of the ends is a 10/100/1000 port then I think you will need to make up a special cross-over cable (this cable would work in both situations as well obviously)

http://www.cabling-design.com/references/pinouts/1000base_t_crossover.shtml

Andy

Thankyou, we are using standard straight cables, however we are using Version 12.0(5.3)WC(1) - firstly do I need to upgrade and if so can I use 12.0.5.WC8 from the cisco download??

Regards Mark.

Hi,

You will defs need to upgrade to at least 12.0(5)WC3b to support both the the older end of life G5482 and newer G5483.

If you can get WC8 then do upgrade the switch and your problem will be solved.

Adios

Thankyou very Much.

Regards Mark