cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC's

mgvogt11
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone aware of any other companies that make GBIC modules. Are these recognized by Cisco? I know that Cisco GBIC's are around $500.00. All suggestions are appreciated.

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Some of the new switches such as 3700 doesnt support third party gbics, they just shut the port down, when you use third party gbics. Otherwise I think there are a lot of 3rd party gbics which are supported on most of the cisco switches. There are few companies like IBM, Agilent, Extreme who sell gbics at lesser prices compared to Cisco gbics.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Dear,Are you sure that third party GBICs are not supported in the series of Catalyst 3750?what shall we do then the third party GBICs can be supported in these new switches.I heard that Cisco coded his switch via EPROM,Cisco's switches is too expensive to be buyed by most user,so they need the cheaper GBICs from third party who can offer the GBICs that can be able to compatible with the Cisco,Could you help me about the compatibility and send some resource to resolv this question,my email at best@lightrend.com Thanks very much.Hope to receive your email.Thanks again.

john-lucero
Level 1
Level 1

A company called MRV Communications Makes some GBIC's. One Cico rept turned me on to this company because the produce a GBIC module that will transmit on multimode fiber beyond the standard distance.

I don't know what else they might have.

WWW.MRV.com

wzk007
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

We are the manufacture of the GBIC & SFP in china,All the products are compatible with the Cisco,3com,Fundry,Extreme and others,because GBIC & SFP is a public standard,we can offer you the best price and quality,you could contact me if you are interested in these products,below is our contact info,my name is Best Wang,Thanks very much,waiting you.Tel: +86 755 83688975 or 83688261 or 83688983

Fax: +86 755 83689111 my email at : best@lightrend.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: