Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GBIC Stack Configuration

I have just purchased 2 2950G Switches using 2 gbic modules. Do I need to connect both cable to the corresponding port.

IE

Switch 1, GBIC 1, Port 1 into Switch 2, GBIC 2, Port 1

And likewise with the second port ?

If so could you tell me why there are 2 green lights for port 1 to 1 and port 2 to 2 is showing a green and amber light.

Hope this makes sense ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: GBIC Stack Configuration

Hi,

there are two ports on stacking GBIC to enable daisy-chaining.

So if you want just to connect two switches, connect port 1 to 1 and that's all - you have 2 Gbps connection (full duplex). If you connect port 1 to 1 and port 2 to 2 (as you described) one port is blocked by STP (amber light) to prevent a loop.

But you can also stack three (and more) switches. If you connect port 1 on switch1 to port 1 on switch2 and port2 on switch 2 to port 1 on switch3, you are having three switches daisy-chained. But the speed degrades to 1Gbps in this case (half-duplex).

Regards,

Milan

1 REPLY

Re: GBIC Stack Configuration

Hi,

there are two ports on stacking GBIC to enable daisy-chaining.

So if you want just to connect two switches, connect port 1 to 1 and that's all - you have 2 Gbps connection (full duplex). If you connect port 1 to 1 and port 2 to 2 (as you described) one port is blocked by STP (amber light) to prevent a loop.

But you can also stack three (and more) switches. If you connect port 1 on switch1 to port 1 on switch2 and port2 on switch 2 to port 1 on switch3, you are having three switches daisy-chained. But the speed degrades to 1Gbps in this case (half-duplex).

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies