Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GC and Etherchannels

Can anyone explain what a "GC" is in an etherchannel? I received the following error in my error log:

%EC-5-L3DONTBNDL2: GigabitEthernet2/2 suspended: incompatible partner port with GigabitEthernet2/1

In Cisco's Error Message Decoder references the following "The partner port has been configured with a GC that is different from the GCs on the other ports in the bundle."

Unfortunately, I have no idea what a GC is.

1 REPLY

Re: GC and Etherchannels

A GC is Group Capability in an EtherChannel Group. This is an excerpt from a troubleshooting doc on the Catalyst 3550 switch. the url follows:

Error Message EC-5-L3DONTBNDL2: [chars] suspended: incompatible partner port with [chars].

Explanation This message means that an interface cannot join an EtherChannel group because the local group capability and the partner group capability must be the same as that of the interfaces in the group. In this case, the ports in the partner's bundle (EtherChannel) do not all have the same group capability. [chars] is the physical interface, which can be a switch port a routed port.

Recommended Action Ensure that the partner group capability is the same for all the ports in the group

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_system_message_guide_chapter09186a008007e806.html#xtocid4

Views
Helpful
Replies