cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General Routing question

pankajs
Level 1
Level 1

A fastethernet interface on my router is configured with IP address 10.1.1.1/24. This interface is connected to a layer 2 switch with users in IP range 10.1.1.2/24 - 10.1.1.253/24. IP routing is enabled on the router. Traffic coming in from serial interface and destined for any of the users PCs needs to be redirected to 10.1.1.254/24. PBR is one solution.

I am curious to know if following 2 two static routes on the router are going to work or not.

ip route 10.1.1.0/25 10.1.1.254

ip route 10.1.1.128/25 10.1.1.254

I expect that depending on longest match router will use the static routes instead of using directly connected route.

Please suggest!!

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

You are correct. It will prefer the /25 route as it is a longer match. So this is the best way of routing it to the interface. But for the /25 it is ok. But for the 2nd /25 the next hop itself will point to the same IP

sh ip route 10.1.1.254

Routing entry for 10.1.1.254/25

Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0

Routing Descriptor Blocks:

Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

Your traffic for the 2nd /25 may get blackholed.

I'm afraid, I didn't understand how second route entry 10.1.1.128/25 is going to cause blackhole???

The next hop is just working for /24 network.

the route you write has the next hop 1.1.254 and the router will do a recursive lookup for 1.1.254 again. The 2nd lookup will also point to the same route again (as it is a /25 route and interface has /24). So the packet will in all probability drop unless iam making a simple mistake.

Right, if this is the case then both the static routes will not work as 1.254 can not be reached with these two static routes.

Will putting a following static route help???

ip route 10.1.1.254/32

I've got a suspicion that this would upset the router. The router has to recurse each destination until it gets to an interface. So a packet destined for 10.1.1.4 should be forwarded to 10.1.1.0/25 the next hop of which is 10.1.1.254. Normally the router now recurses this next-hop to a connected route and hence an interface which it then arps out of for the next-hops mac address. But now you can't recurse the lookup becase 10.1.1.254 matches your second route, hence you will go round in circles.

Policy routing would work here but I would start to seriously consider why you want to do this. I'll bet there are several much tidier ways of doing it if you think about it. Why not make a separate IP network between your router and whatever 1.254 is, then eveything is nice and simple IP routing.

There are many constraints to go for simple routing solution:(. Major is downtime and that too with large number of sites.

As mentioned in the earlier post, its true that two routes will cause it to go in circles.

I am curious if static host route for 10.1.1.254/32 pointing to ethernet interface will make the router to ARP out the ethernet interface while looking for 10.1.1.254(next hop).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: