Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Get information from remote router.

Hi This is Victor Rodriguez.

I have one router model 7507 with IOS version 12.0(24)S this router has blocked by itlself we have reloaded for get access to it. The problem is that when we access to the box we don't see crashes, tracebacks nothing nothing.

We need obtain the information before the problem. So can I configure any debug, coredump. etc for back the information in the flash or any server I can't connect a console because this is a remote router.

I hope you can help me

3 REPLIES

Re: Get information from remote router.

Try configuring a syslog server. Then configure the router to send syslog messages directly to the syslog server by using the following commands:

logging

logging trap debug

Hi

I have configured the syslog server but unfortunately the syslog server doesn't catch all the information when the problem happened, why? because the router lost connectivity, sorry , I need back the information into the router, in the flash for example.

Thanks

Your router (7500) by default writes information about the crash in the filename "crashinfo" and is stored in flash memory.

Go here for the steps on how to retrieve it: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00800a6743.shtml

If you don't have CCO access, here's an excerpt from that page:

Note: The information in this document is based on Cisco 7000, 7200, 7500, and 12000 series routers and Cisco IOS® Software Release 11.1 and later.

The crashinfo file is a collection of useful information related to the current crash stored in boot Flash or Flash memory.

When a router crashes due to data or stack corruption, more reload information is needed to debug this type of crash than just the output from the normal show stacks command. The reload information is written by default to bootflash:crashinfo on the Cisco 12000 Gigabit Router Processor (GRP), the Cisco 7000 and 7500 Route Switch Processor (RSP), and the Cisco 7200 series routers. For the Cisco 7500 Versatile Interface Processor 2 (VIP2), this file is stored by default to bootflash:vip2_slot_no_crashinfo where the slot_no is the VIP2 slot number. For the Cisco 7000 Route Processor (RP), the file is stored by default to flash:crashinfo.

The crashinfo file contains the following information:

* limited error message (log) and command history

* description of image running at time of crash

* show alignment

* malloc and free traces

* process level stack trace

* process level context

* process level stack dump

* interrupt level stack dump

* process level info

* process level register memory dump

Views