Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Getting a config onto a 1924 that has tacacs

I have a 1924 I'm trying to get a config on. I have the current config in a text file. I have run into 2 problems. (1)If I try to cut and paste the config into the switch tacacs gets errors on the 2nd line after the login.

2nd problem is there seems to be no way to tftp the config straight to the switch

So what are my options? Unfortunately my knowledge of tacacs is zip.

So do I remove all the tacacs entries and config it all manually and then put tacacs back on it

Some pointers would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Getting a config onto a 1924 that has tacacs

Could you post the exact error you are getting and the line in the file that is causing it ?

Paresh

Normally, I would have several switches already configured and all I would need to do would be to change the ip address, some monitor ports and a hostname...I find myself in a situation where I need to replace a 1912 with a 1924 because I'm out of switch ports. I have copied a config from another working 1924 and have made my necessary changes in the txt file but can't seem to get it into the switch.

There seems to be no way to ftp it in (Please tell me I'm wrong!) so I tried cut and paste and then tacacs gets in the way...

I have the config file in text format in notepad

I issue a config t on the 1924

I then attempt to paste the entire config from the notepad.

when I do I get invalid command...starting right after the tacacas login

The 1st few statements are below...I have changed the key name and ip addresses for my protection...it is irrelevant to the issue at hand anyway

login tacacs

tacacs-server key yyyyyyy

tacacs-server host "10.X.X.X"

tacacs-server host "10.X.X.X"

tacacs-server attempts 5

tacacs-server last-resort password

tacacs-server timeout 15

Basically after the login tacacs statement every line in the config gives an invalid command and nothing gets pasted into the config

I guess I'm really not seeing the full picture here of what is happening

I just want to get the config in the switch with the tacacs stuff in place just like my other running 1924 but with a few changes.

I hope this clarifies my question...This ought to be easier to do.

Purple

Alright, I think I know the problem here. Your 1924 is running the Standard Edition software and not the Enterprise Edition software and TACACs is not supported on the Standard Edition.

You have two options:

- don't use TACACs

- upgrade your image to the Enterprise Edition.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Purple

Here's a link to the upgrade procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v67x/cd784899.htm

Pls do rate posts that help.

Paresh

Output from a sh ver

sh ver

Cisco Catalyst 1900/2820 Enterprise Edition Software

Version V9.00.05 written from 010.004.180.153

Copyright (c) Cisco Systems, Inc. 1993-1999

I am running Enterprise Edition

Should I not be able to copy tftp my text config into nvram and then all the tacacs stuff be in place?

Purple

Hi,

Even if you copy the config file into NVRAM, when it executes the stored commands when it boots, the switch will complain about the tacacs commands. YOu have to resolve the underlying issue here.

A couple more queries:

- what is the first command at which the switch complains ?

- can you get into the config mode of the switch and do the following:

login ?

tacacs-server ?

If you could post the above, we could progress a bit further,

Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies