Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Ghost casting

We have set up a vlan on our network ( 2 x Cisco 6509 + multicast version 2 + ip pim sparse-dense-mode + auto-discover + auto-announce).

The client and Server are on this same vlan but it takes foreever to ghost a client. It practicaly goes at 5mb/min. When this was placed on a small dedicated switch it was much faster but we decided to use the 6509 as we felt it was more faster and had more ports.

What can be wrong? Pls help.

3 REPLIES

Re: Ghost casting

Hi,

1) are you sure IGMP snooping works fine in your network? I.e. the multicasts are sent only to the Ghost client ports and not flooded to the whole network?

2) Isn't any kind of multicast suppression applied on your 6500 ports?

3) Don't forget the latest Ghost version enables unicast image transport while ghosting one client. I'd use multicasts only when absolutely necessary.

See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/38.html

and for some explanations.

Regards,

Milan

Thanks.

I have the very same slowness with unicast.

How can I test if my igmp snooping is working as it should?

Thanks

Hi,

"How can I test if my igmp snooping is working as it should?"

The easiest way is to start the multicast session and connect a protocolo analyzer to a port which should not receive mutlicasts. When you capture multicasts originated from the ghost server with the analyzer, snooping is not working correctly.

The cheapiest analyzer is the Ethereal freeware (www.ethereal.com).

But if you have the very same slowness with unicasts the problem is probably elsewhere.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content