Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

giants received on cisco 2621 from Cat2948G

I have two fast ethernet interfaces on my router conected to the same catalyst switch on two non-trunk catalyst ports (different ip subnets on router and vlans on switch). While the first interface works great - fa0/0, I get giants on fa0/1 interface from Catalist switch (approx 2 giants a minute - keepalives ??). also I have output drops on this same interface. these are the only errors I see with - show int fa0/1 - this interface is up and line protocol (ip only) is up.

I checked duplex and speed on both router and switch ports, set to the same fixed setting. I can not ping anything from fasethernet0/1 interface, only interface itself. I checked that the switch's port is not a trunk! I do not have IOS Plus future set, so I can not use inter-vlan routing on the same interface fa0/0, therefor I'm trying to use another fast ethernet router interface, which was never configured and used before - but it just does not work.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: giants received on cisco 2621 from Cat2948G

For your problem, please confirm some points

1. Is there any network loop occur in vlan 2 (connect to F0/1)? you mentioned there is a 2948G. Is it uplink to other switches?

2. Have to tried to swap F0/0 and F0/1? Is it the F0/0 also get giants after swapping?

3. Please try auto-sense on both switch and router.

/Michael

Community Member

Re: giants received on cisco 2621 from Cat2948G

just tried auto sense on both sides, did not help. the port on the switch connected to f0/1 does not show any errors in "show port 2/2"

there are no loops in Vlan 2, this is a small test vlan I created - two ports. I have a router port and a station on this vlan. I checked the vlan configuration on those two ports with just two computers and it worked - I could ping between them. this is the only switch here, the root bridge, all ports are root non blocking ports.

I also tried to connect the f0/1 router port to other ports on the switch that are known to work - still no result (I can not say if there were giants on other ports or not, it just did not work, could not ping from f0/1 anything in vlan 2). I first configured trunk port on the switch port 2/2, but after realizing that the router can not route vlans on the same interface without IOS Plus I set the trunk to OFF, and configured the port in vlan 2 only. the port f0/1 on the router does not have any vlan configuration on it , would not take any, just IP address from a vlan 2 subnet. I did not try to swap router interfaces as it is a 24/7 production network and it works (except for my little test vlan) and whatever I do I want to do it with a minimum downtime. also I did not reset the switch after messing around with configuration no second port connected to the same router.

may be f0/1 is faulty, can it show giants without actually receiving them? nonsense. I tried to eliminate switch as a source of a problem, connected my notebook NIC via x-over cable to router f0/1 port and I could not ping it although IP settings were correct. I just got this job and no one knows anything about this router, and second interface on it was never used before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content