Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Gigabit Connectivity with Catalyst 6509

We have recently installed 10/100/1000 line cards in Catalyst 6509 with Cat OS. I am hearing reports that the clients have problems connecting at gigabit. I have done some research into gigabit connectivity and I found that autonegotion in gigabit controls only flow control unlike speed and duplex operation in fast ethernet. We are getting media disconnected messages on the client side. Could this be a particular NIC card. Disabling autonegotiation would help although this is not recommended? I would appreciate the feedback regarding gigabit connectivity to the desktop. Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Gigabit Connectivity with Catalyst 6509

make sure to run the latest NIC card drivers. If the drivers have been updated, you may want to disable auto-mdix ( set port auto-mdix disable ).

Some customers have reported linkup problems when it is enabled.

Thanks for the info. This command set port auto-mdix is not available in the 6509 with CatOS. Else where to disable this feature?

Simha

I have experiences problems with autonegotiation on 10/100/1000 ports in 6509 running IOS. Problem was solved by hardcoding speed/duplex on both sides.

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content