Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Gigabit Ethernet (GEIP, GEIP+) for Cisco 7500 Series Routers

The GEIP and GEIP+ differ primarily in their performance. The GEIP+ provides up to 800 Mbps of aggregate throughput, while the GEIP performs at a 400 Mbps. Could you advise what does aggregate throughout exactly mean in this case?

By the way, GEIP is EoS.

Have found the GEIP and GEIP+ are based on VIP technology. Its modular architecture enables to support for 2 port adapters on a single VIP interface card. So in this case I assume if you install 2 GEIP cards in a VIP, you still only get 400Mbps aggegrate throughput. Is that the case?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Gigabit Ethernet (GEIP, GEIP+) for Cisco 7500 Series Routers

I guess aggragate throughput is the avearge of the avialble interface bandwidth. I think for 2 GEIP cards aggragate will be of 800 Mbps.

Re: Gigabit Ethernet (GEIP, GEIP+) for Cisco 7500 Series Routers

Hi...

If I understand what you are asking, the GEIP(+) takes up both slots of the VIP4-80, so you can only have one port per module.

I believe aggregate means (for the GEIP+), 400Mbps max in each direction (receive and transmit), with various combinations in between for a total of 800Mbps.

You also need to be careful with multiple GEIP+'s with regard to the 1.86Gbps total bandwidth of the 7500 cBus backplane.

We have two GEIP+'s in a 7507 placed in slots that split them between the two cBus's.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content