cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gigabit Ethernet (GEIP, GEIP+) for Cisco 7500 Series Routers

tomchan
Level 1
Level 1

The GEIP and GEIP+ differ primarily in their performance. The GEIP+ provides up to 800 Mbps of aggregate throughput, while the GEIP performs at a 400 Mbps. Could you advise what does aggregate throughout exactly mean in this case?

By the way, GEIP is EoS.

Have found the GEIP and GEIP+ are based on VIP technology. Its modular architecture enables to support for 2 port adapters on a single VIP interface card. So in this case I assume if you install 2 GEIP cards in a VIP, you still only get 400Mbps aggegrate throughput. Is that the case?

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

I guess aggragate throughput is the avearge of the avialble interface bandwidth. I think for 2 GEIP cards aggragate will be of 800 Mbps.

vgrigaliunas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

If I understand what you are asking, the GEIP(+) takes up both slots of the VIP4-80, so you can only have one port per module.

I believe aggregate means (for the GEIP+), 400Mbps max in each direction (receive and transmit), with various combinations in between for a total of 800Mbps.

You also need to be careful with multiple GEIP+'s with regard to the 1.86Gbps total bandwidth of the 7500 cBus backplane.

We have two GEIP+'s in a 7507 placed in slots that split them between the two cBus's.