Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Gigabit Ethernet on RJ21 interface

Gig Ethernet on 48 port rj45's is a big problem for us to migrate to. We currently have rj21 cables/panels etc... Even if we need to upgrade to a higher category cable, we don't have the room in our current racks.

Are there any plans for a GigE blade with rj21?

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Gigabit Ethernet on RJ21 interface

The RJ-21 standard will handle up to 10baseT. It will not handle Gig-E copper. If you are upgrading to Gig-E then you must implement an infrastructure that supports Gig-E coopper (Cat-5, Cat-5e, Cat-6).Or if you want to go Gig-E fiber then you can run multimode fiber between your devices. RJ-21 will not support your Gig-E needs....

Community Member

That's what I thought also, but I was in a cisco road show for the 6500 series where they discussed the possibility of this coming out in the future. Also foundry has posted a news bulletin of a new 48 port 10/100/1000 using a "mini" rj21 interface. Its due out first quarter of 2006.

Silver

I forgot to mention another option to look into if your wiring infrastructure is not supportive, try wireless. You can run Gig-E trunk between switches via wireless bridges or compliment your infrastructure with wireless devices...

Community Member

Current Gig-E standards 1000Base-TX and 1000Base-T both use all 4 pairs in UTP cable while RJ-21 jack has only 2 pairs per port. That is why Gig-E is unavailable in such form factor. And this is a real problem for me too..

Not sure that wireless is applicable for reliable Gig-E link.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content