Views
Helpful
Replies

gigabit ethernet question

bahnhof-noc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a little question about gigabit ethernet.

Can I use a gigabit ethernet interface in a router and only have fast ethernet clients using it? If I connect the gigabit interface to a switch with a GBIC-port and the clients are connected to the fast ethernet ports.

Or does every client need to have a gigabit ethernet interace?

What I'm looking for is that I have a LAN where every client doesn't need more than 100Mbit but togheter all clients will need gigabit ethernet speed to the router.

/Nicklas

2 Replies 2

vaughan.lee
Level 1
Level 1

You will be able to do this without any problems, and many of the switches are designed for the very purpose of providing high speed gig-uplinks to service a number of 100M client links.

One thing to check though is that, having run a gig-link to the router, the router is able to handle and output the quantity of data it is likely to receive. For instance, to use an extreme example, there is no point running a highly utilised gigabit link into a router when all the traffic has to go out of a 64K line!

Thanks for the answer,

it was like I guessed but I had to check to make 100% sure. And yes the router will have another gigabit-link for the outgoing traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: