cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gigabit performance

hhofkens
Level 1
Level 1

We are experiencing performance problems. When doing a filecopy between two NT4s we get about 7MB/s. When doing a blast (wsttcp.exe) I get around 30 MB/s between the two server. A local blast to the loopback gives 30 MB/s and 55MB/s for the two servers. I do not see any errors increasing on the port of the CAT4003 with WSX4418 module and on the NIC statistics...

I would expect around 100 MB/s when doing a blast on Gb??

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Describe your servers. What processor speed? Are you using 64 bit NICS in 64 bit / 66Mhz mode?

Aside from that, NT4 is somewhat less than a "performer" with high speed network interfaces.

Are you using fiber or copper?

If copper, have you tried other media? Are the jumpers you're using hand-made or purchased? Have you tried other physical paths?

If fiber, have you checked to see that the ends are clean & well terminated? Have you checked for extreme bends (smaller than a 1-2" radius) / kinks / nicks / connectors with no strain reflief? Did you also check the panels to see that the jack is clean / dust-free / in good shape?

What version of code are you running on the switch? Firmware Revs?

Two Compaq ML370 (933 mhz).

I am using Intel Pro/1000 (sx).

What would you expect as acceptable speed??

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have the details in front of me (and my brain was already full - so I don't have it memorized) but NT sets the TCP parameters differently depending on the type of file transfer (pushing a file or pulling a file) etc. Look at the Microsoft web site for some information. You may gain some speed if you hack the registry. Good luck.

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you check for NIC issues described in the following document:

www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/46.html

I recall something about using NT4.0 with Compaq Netflex requires the compaq driver for performance over the standard Windows driver.

I am not sure if you have disabled the full duplex function in NIC and Router.. I have experienced the similar problem before. It works after I did it.