Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Gigabit Server and Gigabit Module Prformance not up to Expectation

I have a 4006 switch with 2 modules. One is a gigabit module on slot 2 and the other is an in-line power module (10/100) on slot 6.

I got all my servers connected to the gigabit module. When I do a show port 2 I found out that some of the servers flow control operation disagree.

Most of the servers have gigabit NIC. When we transfer data from a gigabit server to another gigabit server, we found out that it is not operating to it's desired level. The transfer rate doesnt exceed 150Mbps which indicates that it is still operating on 100 Mbps.

Is this because of that disagree on that flowcontrol or is there some settings that we need to configure on the server NIC's and the switch port ?

Please I need your help so that we can fully utilise this gigabit switch

9 REPLIES

Re: Gigabit Server and Gigabit Module Prformance not up to Expec

Your transfer rate can't get to 150Mb/s if the port is 100Mb/s

You may find that the server is just not simply capable of 1000Mb/s.

Is this a 10/100/1000Mbs blade? If it's only 1Gb/s blade you won't even get a connection.

Have you tried swapping NICs, have you tried swapping switch ports

Perhaps you could test a pair of your 'gigabit' servers back to back, with no switch involved. Then you could get some idea of what the servers are capable of, and if the switch is actually degrading their performance. My guess is that the servers cannot move data that fast. Just because a machine has a 1000Mbps NIC and is connected to a 1000Mbps switch you cannot nessesarily expect 1000Mbps throughput.

If you want to have some fun, google for a thing called QCheck. It is an end-to-end bandwidth tester software thing, and it seems capable of sourcing/sinking data at a very high rate. This might help you verify the data handling ability of the switch.

Dave

Gold

Is it a copper Gigabit module, or a fiber one?

I don't know about the copper ones first-hand, but the fiber GBIC ones have either 6 or 18 GBIC slots, and different performance capabilities. The 6-port one is for switch-to-switch and small server farms, and is wire-speed; the 18-port one generally for medium-sized server farms, and is oversubscribed on bandwidth. It allows many Gigabit server connections (up to 16) to share a lesser amount of switch backplane bandwidth (8Gbps I think). I have heard stories of customers who were sold 18-port modules when they should have purchased three 6-port modules for performance reasons.

Back-to-back testing would certainly indicate whether the problem is the switch, or a limitation of what the servers can do.

Make sure you're using the latest LAN drivers on the server's NICs, too, for best performance.

If they are copper server connections, you should be able to manually set the cards and the switch ports for optimum performance. Make sure your copper patch cables are true Category 5 or better, and that all eight strands connect straight through. Gigabit Ethernet over UTP requires all four pairs of wires; Fast Ethernet and 10BASE-T Ethernet only need two pairs. If your patch cables were made by hand and only terminated pins 1,2,3 and 6, then on a 10/100/1000 autodetect port the best speed you will get is 100.

Thanks for all your reply's. It is a copper Gigabit module - 1000BaseX Supervisor,WS-X4013.Yes we did try a back to back conection and the result is the same as it is connected via the 4006 switch. So I think it is to do with the server NIC's and not the switch.

Also we are using CAT 6 patch structured cabling and patch leads so I think there will be no issue of the cables for this case.

Can somebody advice me on the settings of the switch gigabit ports and the Server gigabit NIC's for optimum performance ? At the moment everything is set to auto from the switch end and the only thing that we change for the gigabit servers is enable FLOW CONTROL to AUTO on the Gigabit NIC's. Apart from the FLow Control on the NIC, Speed/Duplex are set to auto with the rest of the setting set to the default.

What is your OS for servers ?

What hardware, you are using for servers ?

OS of the servers are Win2K

We are using CompaNC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter

This is a similar problem face with my company since last year and hasn't solve completely.

Some information came to me that the problem came from W2K or Wxp. Some information said that this is coming from TCP mechanism in gigabit

I try to do the same thing by change the network card with some network card brand, 100Mbps/GigabitEthernet/Gigabit optic still same.

The throughput of network card can't more than 10% for this kind of connection.

Try to make peer to peer connection event we try to change the PC hardware > same.

Maybe it is not relating to cisco itself since you also try with peer to peer.

Some improvement things:

limiting the service in the server. More service means more slower you network connection.

Make sure that hardware and memory is big enough and capable to handle gbic nic.

If your server is domain controller, so I advise to look to microsoft tech support.

here the last information I can share. Perhaps can give you more information.

http://www.uninett.no/tcpperf/

http://sd.wareonearth.com/woe/current_projects_information.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816496&Product=win2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325487&Product=win2000

Also I think disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP would help. Right-click NIC in Windows, Properties. Properties on TCP/IP -> Advanced, tab WINS.

Yes, you are right - NetBIOS can cause the network very slow. However, from my trial. I only use TCP/IP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content