Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Gigabit through a 7507

I'm building a gigabit ring between 3 pops. Lets call them A, B, and C. The majority of the traffic will be going between A and C. A and C, will have one direct gigabit connection, and a second that makes one hop through B. Each leg of the link will be setup as ip based point to point links, OSPF run over them, with the metric tweaked so each path looks the same going between A and C. At site B, there is a 7507 that will be dealing with two legs of the ring. The current plan is to use two GEIP+ modules, but that seems like a potential waste of backplane bandwidth if most of the traffic is going to just bounce from one GEIP to the other. Cisco lists the VIP4-80 has having 750MB+ bandwidth available between it's two port adapter bays, and there is a GBIC based gigabit port adapter available... does the VIP4-80 have enough guts to deal with dual gigabit adapters running at max utilization? Can I sneak down to a VIP2-50 and still be safe? (I can't find bandwidth numbers, but the VIP4 is supposted to have 'double' the perf of the VIP2, so that means 350MB, or approx 100MB of headroom...) Is this the best route or should I use GEIP+ modules and put the load on my 7507 backplane.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Gigabit through a 7507

The GEIP+ is a VIP4-80 with specific circuitry for GE maximum performance (Essentially distribution of transmission and reception over the two ASICs that handle communication between the VIP and the PAs). Thus the numbers of performance are similar. For the GEIP+ we can achieve 400Mbps in each direction with 1500 byte packets. It was not designed for line rates, but merely to provide GE connectivity from a 7500. Read more:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/interpro/ethernet/10699dwg/10699ovr.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.