Views
Helpful
Replies

GigaStack modules ?

wrusman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

With Gigastack modules in a stack of 4 Catalyst 3550 switches, will i be able to use the 4 switches as one device containing 4*48 = 192 interface ports?

or is this pure management?

if so will i be able to configure STP on it like 1 device ?

Please Help me out on this...

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Having GigStacks does not say anything about the management of the switches. What you mean is clustering. When you build a cluster you have the option to manage the stack as a single device.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_sheet09186a00800913ce.html

Regards,

Leo

I know for management i can create a cluster.

But what is the advantage of a GigaStack module over a GBIC-enet module ?

Both are Gbit, and can be used to uplink switches with eachother.

With some other brands you can combine multiple switches to create one "virtual" device, is this also the case with cisco and GigaStack modules ?

The GigaStack is just a type of GBIC which is short for: GigaBit Interface Controller.

GigaStack modules offer a cost-effective way to link multiple switches together: you need only one module per device which can be used to connect to two other devices.

Other types of GBICs only allow point-point connections.

For the rest the message remains the same: You can build a cluster with and without GBICs. I would advise using them though while a cluster typically needs fast interconnects.

Regards,

Leo