Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GigaStack

I know you could connect two switches together via a gigastack, but my question is it possible to connect the two 24 ports switches together and make it look like one 48 port switch when you telnet to it? If so can anyone post a link or an example?

Thanks

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: GigaStack

I am not aware of any way to manage two switches via one IP address using telnet. This would require some kind of backplane or switch fabric linkage or integration capability, and the GigaStack GBICs just don't do this.

However, if you use the cluster management GUI software, you can use one IP address and your Web browser to manage up to 16 switches in a cluster (if they're 2900/2950/3500/3550 series). They're distinct switches, but all are accessible under one IP address. I think CDP is used to communicate between the "cluster king" and the cluster member switches.

Clustered switches must be contiguous, or adjacent to other cluster capable switches, for them to be managable in this way. If you have a 6500 series chassis switch between two 3500 series access switches, those two access switches will not be able to be part of the same cluster. The 6500 series, as well as some others, don't "do" clustering, so the clustering information between the access switches in this example won't make it across the 6500. (Solution in this case: either set up two clusters; or if you really need just one, then create a redundant link between the access switches, turn on Spanning Tree, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies