cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Graphing Switch Fabric Statistics

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

I'm trying to graph switch fabric statistics on Cat 2950's (T & G) and 4507 SUPIV. Specifically I want to graph OIDs IP-MIB::ipForwDatagrams and IP-MIB::ipOutRequests.

These OIDs work correctly on Cat 6509IOS SUPII and all my routers (26xx/7206VXR). However on the 2950s and 4507 IP-MIB::ipOutRequests shows traffic, while OID IP-MIB::ipForwDatagrams is always "0".

SNMPWALK shows the following:

IP-MIB::ipForwarding.0 = INTEGER: forwarding(1)

IP-MIB::ipForwDatagrams.0 = Counter32: 0

IP-MIB::ipOutRequests.0 = Counter32: 21151233

Any idea on how to get these switches to update the ipForwDatagrams OID?

1 Reply 1

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Steve,

Straight from the Mib. Looks like only traffic via the software path increments the counter. For hardware switched traffic, this counter will not be incremented.

I work purely with SNMP, so not very sure on the architecture of those 2 platforms and how it applies here. You might want to post this to a switching alias, or open tac case.

ipForwDatagrams OBJECT-TYPE

-- FROM RFC1213-MIB

SYNTAX Counter

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS Mandatory

DESCRIPTION "The number of input datagrams for which this entity was not their final IP destination, as a result of which an attempt was made to find a route to forward them to that final destination.

In entities which do not act as IP Gateways, this counter will include only those packets which were Source-Routed via this entity, and the Source-Route option processing was successful."

::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) mgmt(2) mib-2(1) ip(4) 6 }