Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GRE Support on 3560's

Currently have GRE tunnel endpoints configured on 3550 switches. We are looking at buying some 3560's.

Are GRE Tunnels supported on 3560 switches??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: GRE Support on 3560's

Hi Chris,

Both the 3550 and 3560 only support GRE tunnels in software. Now, the documentation indicates that it is not supported altogether, but the CLI does exist, and for very low volume traffic, a GRE tunnel can

be configured and will function.

Keep in mind that every packet going through the GRE tunnels will be CPU switched, and can lead to high CPU situations.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Both the 3550 and 3560 only support GRE tunnels in software. Now, the documentation indicates that it is not supported altogether, but the CLI does exist, and for very low volume traffic, a GRE tunnel can

be configured and will function.

Keep in mind that every packet going through the GRE tunnels will be CPU switched, and can lead to high CPU situations.

HTH,

Bobby

Bobby

Thanks for the info.

Does the same apply to the 3750??

Thanks

Chris

Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Yes, this also applies to the 3750. The only switch that supports GRE encap/decap in hardware is the 6500.

HTH,

Bobby

We too are looking at implementing a GRE Tunnel solution with a Catalyst 3560. We are looking at using this for T1 speed. Would that qualify as "low volume" as stated above?

thanks,

Geoff

Bobby,

I just became aware of this issue, and only after I delivered a major design to a large Metropolitan Area. So, Cisco has recommended that I move to the 3800 router for this. I will be doing an IPSEC-GRE tunnel because of both OPSEC and Addressing issues through the WAN cloud. Is this a good approach?

thanks,

Dan

Network Systems Architect

Views
Helpful
Replies